Search WWW Search wifcon.com

To Contents

Award address
By tony on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

When issuing a federal grant to an Association or Society can the award address be other than the national HQ for these entities? Like a regional chapter, etc...

By Don Assistance on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 11:29 pm:

Yes, it can. Who submitted the grant proposal, the regional chapter or the national HQ?

By Tony on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 10:56 am:

I don't know who submitted the proposal but 99% certain it was the Chapter. So the answer is yes?
I am arguing the answer can only be yes if the entity is consistent in how they are awarded Grants from the Federal Government just like any accounting and accountable function in Federal government contracts, consistency, by reasonable and accepted practices. Would that not also be true?

By Don Assistance on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 03:16 pm:

I don't see any reason why you couldn't award it to a chapter of a national organization, as long as the Chapter meets the definition of a "recipient" in OMB Circular A-110:

"Recipient means an organization receiving financial assistance directly from Federal awarding agencies to carry out a project or program. The term includes public and private institutions of higher education, public and private hospitals, and other quasi-public and private non-profit organizations such as, but not limited to, community action agencies, research institutes, educational associations, and health centers. The term may include commercial organizations, foreign or international organizations (such as agencies of the United Nations) which are recipients, subrecipients, or contractors or subcontractors of recipients or subrecipients at the discretion of the Federal awarding agency. The term does not include government-owned contractor-operated facilities or research centers providing continued support for mission-oriented, large-scale programs that are government-owned or controlled, or are designated as federally-funded research and development centers."

It would be analogous to awarding to a subsidiary of a larger parent company. Regarding your point about consistency, if the chapter has submitted grant proposals in its name in the past, and those grants have been awarded to the national HQ, then it would be prudent to inquire about the current change. Provided their answer was reasonable, there's no hard and fast rule preventing you to award to the chapter. However, one thing to keep in mind, if this is a DoD Grant, the chapter would have to have a unique CAGE code or they'll have difficulties receiving payments.